Oral thrush is also called candidiasis which is a condition where the fungus candida albican accumulates in the lining of the mouth. Candida is a normal microorganism present in the mouth but sometimes they can grow excessively and trigger the manifestation of symptoms.
Oral thrush causes the development of cream white lesions usually found in the tongue or interior cheeks and occasionally spread to the roof of the mouth, gums, back of the throat and the tonsils.
Oral thrush affects anyone but babies, the elderly and individuals with low immune system or other health conditions are more susceptible to develop this condition.
Symptoms of oral thrush
- Raised lesions that looks like cottage cheese
- Development of white lesions usually in the tongue, inner cheeks and sometimes on the mouth, gums, roof of the mouth and the tonsils
- Redness and soreness that it becomes difficult to eat and swallow
- Loss of taste
- The lesions might be bleeding if rubbed or scraped
- Cracking and redness can be seen at the corners of the mouth especially when wearing dentures
- A cottony sensation in the mouth
- Infants will have difficulty feeding and irritable. They can pass the infection to the mother during breast feeding.
- An infected breast-feeding mother can experience red and sensitive itchy nipples, pain can be felt when feeding the baby, stabbing pain within the breast and shiny or flaky skin in the circular part around the nipple or the areola.
- In a cup filled wih warm water, mix ½ to 1 teaspoon of salt until completely dissolved and then gargle this solution thoroughly and spit it out. Repeat this procedure several times every day until there is relief. Another alternative is rubbing some salt to the tongue and inside of the mouth for a few seconds. Rinse it thoroughly using warm water. Use this treatment 2 times every day for a few days.
- Apple cider vinegar has enzymes that lessen the severity of the infection. It also restores the pH of the body to fight overgrowth of the fungus and also boost the immune system of the body to fight the infection. Mix 2 teaspoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar with ½ teaspoon salt in a cup filled with warm water. Mix them well and use this mixture in rinsing the mouth at least several times every day until there is improvement. Another way is in a cup filled with warm water where you mix 2 tablespoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar with a few drops of honey and drink it at least 2 times every day.
- An inexpensive way of treating oral thrush is using baking soda. It eliminates the yeast that is responsible for the infection and maintains good pH level of the mouth by neutralizing the acids. Make a paste by mixing 1-2 teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of water and mix well to form a paste. Apply this paste on the tongue and the inner area of the cheek and let remain inside for a few minutes and then rinse the mouth using warm water. Use this treatment at least 2-3 times every day for a few days. In a glass of water, mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda and rinse the mouth at least 2 times every day until there is improvement in the condition.