A common medical problem that occurs around the groin area are known as fungal groin infections also known as (Tinea cruris). The condition is quite uncomfortable and can be embarrassing. However, it can be effectively managed by applying antifungal cream on the affected area. Expect full recovery within few weeks when taking the medication. Several strategies will also come in handy in avoiding future occurrences.
The material posted on this page on recognizing, managing and preventing fungal groin infections is for learning purposes only. If you suspect you have a fungal groin infection contact a medical professional. To learn more about minor and major skin emergencies sign up for a first aid course today.
What Are Fungal Groin Infection Symptoms?
It’s important to understand that this situation is normally experienced when fungi invade the groin area. They’re quite harmless in the initial stages but cause more damage after multiplying. The symptoms mainly include:
- Itchiness around groin area
- Red rashes
Both women and men are affected by this condition. The signs occur around the groin but can also spread to other areas such as thighs, scrotum and feet. Even though this is not a life threatening condition, it can lead to other complications like athlete’s foot, for instance.
What Are Fungal Groin Infection Treatments?
The proven treatment method for this illness is the use of antifungal cream. There are numerous types of this medication readily available over-the-counter but the best brands to get are:
Make sure that the ailment is kept under control by using the cream as directed. In general, you should:
- Apply the cream around the fungal groin infection. This should be done in circular, massaging strokes to avoid aggravating the skin.
- Apply the cream for the time duration instructed. Bear in mind that this will vary from case to case depending on severity of symptoms and cream brand. Consult a doctor or medical professional when in doubt.
Severe cases may require a combination of creams and other prescription medication. Your doctor will conduct necessary tests to devise the best treatment plan for the case.
In some cases, medication that is orally ingested may be prescribed. There are several such types available in the pharmacies as well.
How Can Future Fungal Groin Infections Be Prevented?
To be safe from any future occurrences of this medical condition, it is advisable to practice the following:
- Keep the groin area clean. Make sure that you wash thoroughly every day to get rid of all potential fungus that may cause infections. Also, dry the area well to prevent the fungi from multiplying.
- Change underwear on a daily basis. The fungi will get the opportunity of multiplying when you do not change underwear.
- Get tested for athlete’s foot. If you have been affected by this other ailment, seek treatment immediately. In most cases, the same cream that you are using will suffice in alleviating the symptoms of athlete’s foot.
- Avoid sharing towels. Fungal infections spread quickly when sharing such personal items.
All in all, make sure that you follow all the essential tips required when it comes to managing fungal groin infection. Protect your partner by refraining from sexual encounters until the symptoms disappear completely.